We have a designated Forest School area on the school site and make use of the wider site as well as visiting a real forest on the Blagdon Estate each year with Y3 pupils. Mr Hogg and Miss Armstrong are qualified Forest School Leaders and Mr. Hansen is a Forest School Assistant. Every child is given the opportunity to join in with Forest School learning.
Horton Grange Forest School is based on the Scandinavian model of outdoor education. The philosophy of the Forest School includes:
- building confidence and self esteem through practical activites in an outdoor environment;
- ensuring that children who are participating in a range of activities and tasks in the outdoor environment have the opportunity to develop socially and emotionally;
- learning about the natural environment;
- learning how to handle risks;
- how to use their initiative to solve problems;
- to become self managing and self motivated;
- how to work successfully with others.
During the Forest School sessions children quickly understand the boundaries of behaviour necessary so they can use tools safely and to good effect. As they experience success their motivation grows.
If you would be interested in helping with our outdoor programme, please contact Mr. Hogg via the school office.